Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Today's sky report

While I was out in a blizzard in Colorado skiing this past weekend, the warm weather conspired to melt the last remaining vestiges of snow. I had a pretty good pile going on the front lawn, where the snow blower would dump it's offerings, so I thought we'd make it deep into April with still some traces. Once again, I underestimated the power of a couple of 70 degree days.

Back to the blizzard - on the four day ski trip, we experienced a spring skiing day (Friday/Winter Park), a mixed sun and cloud day where the snow didn't really soften (Saturday/Breckenridge), a full on blizzard which dumped over a foot of snow (Sunday/Winter Park again) and a winter like day which kept snow coming (off and on) and the powder soft (Monday/Breckenridge again). Quite the variety but the whole long weekend felt more like winter than spring. I AM NOT COMPLAINING. Sunday in the blizzard was probably one of the nicest ski days I've ever had. The snow was falling all day, the trees stood silent sentinel in the gray light, and the powder was some of the easiest turning stuff I'd ever been in. We spent a good deal of time in the bowls and in the trees.

Today it's sunny but not too warm. Spring shows many faces in New Hampshire.

No comments: